Change of Name - is it true?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Re: Change of Name - is it true?

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Singing Old Blues has always been non-inclusive (partners, children, etc. always welcome). The person in question will undoubtedly remain a member of SOBs. But by definition she is not entitled to be a member of the new CHOBA, despite her pedigree?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

According to the article (link posted by Julian), "Hence the new name, which is intended to be inclusive of all Old Blues and other CHA members" (my emphasis).

So it looks like your friend would continue to be eligible for CHOBA. The name is no more of a contradiction in terms than Singing Old Blues.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

How would she, and any like her in the future (or indeed any like her in the past, who may not have been as active as she has) know that they are included under that definition?
Kerren Simmonds
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

kerrensimmonds wrote:How would she, and any like her in the future (or indeed any like her in the past, who may not have been as active as she has) know that they are included under that definition?
It´s a name change, no more.
If she was a member of the CHA,then she is a member of CHOBA.
If she wasn´t, why hadn´t she applied and why doesn´t she apply now?
The possibility of non OB´s asking to join and being accepted has not changed.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

But how does she KNOW that she is still a member of 'CHOBA'? Thus far I have not seen anything to confirm this to be the case?
Kerren Simmonds
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

kerrensimmonds wrote:But how does she KNOW that she is still a member of 'CHOBA'? Thus far I have not seen anything to confirm this to be the case?
Maybe I am being dim or someone is being obtuse, but what makes her think that she is no longer a member of the CHA?

The note says

After due consideration a proposal was put by the Board to the Council of Almoners who approved the name-change at their meeting on 17 September, effective from 1 October 2009. Hence the new name, which is intended to be inclusive of all Old Blues and other CHA members.

It doesn´t make any other changes so where is the problem?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

I think there's enough in that note to confirm that existing members are unaffected.

However, I do wonder about potential future members who might not even get as far as enquiring whether or not they are eligible, when at face value the name implies that it's just Old Blues. Were any other alternatives considered and rejected?
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Jo wrote:I think there's enough in that note to confirm that existing members are unaffected.

However, I do wonder about potential future members who might not even get as far as enquiring whether or not they are eligible, when at face value the name implies that it's just Old Blues. Were any other alternatives considered and rejected?
The question of name arose when current Blues asked what the CHA was, and it had to be explained that it was an association principally for Old Blues,as Julian has already explained. The name was really to cover Old Blues and others, and probably, in that respect, falls between two stalls. It was really an extension of the CHA name.
When we started looking at the possibility of a name change, I contacted a couple of former members of the Board of the CH Club, to see if they could remember any discussion on whether the name of the CHA was appropriate or whether it should include references to Old Blues. I was on the CHC Board at the time. Neither of them could remember much on the matter, and nor could I,so it appears that the CHA was merely a continuation of the CHC.
What was rejected was the inclusion of the word Alumni, which would have been restricting.
I thought that maybe by asking the question, they might have got an idea of a change in the wind, and not have acted so surprised when it took place, but I was wrong.
Although I do not have as much experience as the two I consulted, in my experience, non Old Blues who want to get involved in the Association, already know about it through their contacts with the school, and are fairly heavily involved with CH one way or another. In fact, those who have applied and accepted have been wives of late OB´s, very active members of the OBRFC and similar, and were already known to committee members. I doubt that the name will put off people in the future, although you never know.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I would also hope that when faced with someone who feels left out by the name change (although I still fail to see why, given that the CHOBA is as inclusive as the other organisation with OB in their title - Old Blues RFC, Singing Old Blues etc. )that we'd all be able to reassure positively, and completely dispell any concern, encouraging them vocally to remain involved and interested in everything CH.

I fail to see any motivation from any front to want to alienate or exclude, and don't quite get why anyone would assume we would want to alienate them? What possible motive could there be?
As far as I'm concerned anyone who has a passion for the ethos and aims of CH should feel able to be involved.....

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Friends of Christ's Hospital would have been inclusive.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I do not believe that the actual Name or the question of those eligible, really matters.

Most "Moans" I believe (Incuding mine !) related to the fact that the decision was made with no information, or (Wide) consultation with Members of what, many of us, regard as a Club.

The Name and the Organisation are now an established fact. I believe that we should, now , let the matter rest.

The time-worn expression "Put up -- or Shut up" seems to fit the bill.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

englishangel wrote:Friends of Christ's Hospital would have been inclusive.
This already exists. It's a group in the USA which raises a lot of funds for CH, arranges exchanges etc.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Jo wrote:I think there's enough in that note to confirm that existing members are unaffected.

Presumably, Kerren's singing friend must have faced the same problem when she joined the Singing Old Blues. I'm glad that she felt able to join that Old Blue organisation (in spite of the name) and, of course, I hope she, and others like her, will feel as warmly welcomed as CHOBA members. I'm sure I speak for all Board members when I say that we must do our best to ensure that everybody knows that conditions for membership have not altered one iota, but as Julian and John point out we depend on a dissemination that is as effective as possible without being costly. This is necessarily slower than than the rumour mill - but the latter often has the disadvantage of innacuracy.

...... and yes ...... we did discuss other possibilities ....... at length! (sigh)
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

When we were down for the rededication of Tom Snook's memorial at the school a couple of weeks ago, Adrian Bawtree came and met us all. he told us about the new name then - actually, I didn't even think it warranted a mention on here so I didn't post anything... to me it makes a lot of sense as I know that current Blues and those outside the school didn't understand what I was talking about when refering to the CHA...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99