"They" have done it again

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: "They" have done it again

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I saw John Snow bowl on an Old Blues Day, on "England" v. CH
I assume, he was at "Half Speed" and being "Kind" -------- WOW !!!

A sad loss.

He was NEVER 'kind' !

On the pitch, he had an inborn hatred of batsmen.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

It was his mother who died, 2 short of her 'century.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Yes. See my posting about swine flu..........
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Judy Evans (Plastic Surgeon)
Yes, Paula did have a brother at Horsham and his name was/is Geoffrey.
I think Jane Hayward became an actor, but not sure how celebrated she became. Last seen at Housey, when one of her two children left.
And Theresa Mills became an Egon Ronay 'tester' (don't know what the real title is!)
Both Jane and her sister Angela are on the list for the 40 years on reunion at the weekend
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

anniexf wrote:.
I've always thought it a bit of a cheek to claim Ruth Fraenkel (Deech) for CH. Yes, she was there - but I don't think she was grateful for the quality of education she received! In fact as far as I can recall, it was entirely due to her own efforts after CH that she became so successful. I'm sure I read somewhere that her exam results were too mediocre for Oxford initially, & that she went up only after a spell at the LSE. Her acknowledgement of what CH gave her extended, I think, only as far as the sense of the importance of "service to others" that was instilled. I suspect that her achievements owe very little to Hertford - a case of "in spite of" rather than "thanks to"!
FWIW, Ruth Deech (nee Fraenkel) was at CH today in her role as an ex-pupil. If, like many, she didn't think much of the school then she would not have been there.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

sejintenej wrote:
anniexf wrote:.
I've always thought it a bit of a cheek to claim Ruth Fraenkel (Deech) for CH. Yes, she was there - but I don't think she was grateful for the quality of education she received! In fact as far as I can recall, it was entirely due to her own efforts after CH that she became so successful. I'm sure I read somewhere that her exam results were too mediocre for Oxford initially, & that she went up only after a spell at the LSE. Her acknowledgement of what CH gave her extended, I think, only as far as the sense of the importance of "service to others" that was instilled. I suspect that her achievements owe very little to Hertford - a case of "in spite of" rather than "thanks to"!
FWIW, Ruth Deech (nee Fraenkel) was at CH today in her role as an ex-pupil. If, like many, she didn't think much of the school then she would not have been there.
Not necessarily so.

Can't speak for Ruth, but I did not have a pleasant time at Hertford, left after O levels, and gained better A level results after two years at St Martin In The Fields than many of my contemporaries who remained at CH. However, I have visited the Hertford site, laid many ghosts to rest and spent wonderful hours in the presence of loved friends, and will visit Horsham one day in the role of ex-pupil.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I think it's perfectly possible to maintain respect for the Foundation itself, and for those who did achieve their aims there (as Caroline has written) whilst admitting that one progressed personally once one had left, as Ruth Deech has written. So I agree with Ann.

I had to laugh when I read that Ruth owed her capability of eating cold food in a hurry at City banquets to her experiences in Dining Hall. :D It's a Hertford advantage which had never occurred to me! However, I did remember this at a wedding recently...
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

sejintenej wrote: FWIW, Ruth Deech (nee Fraenkel) was at CH today in her role as an ex-pupil. If, like many, she didn't think much of the school then she would not have been there.
David, I'm not sure what it is worth! Ruth Deech's attendance at a Horsham function could hardly be construed as a demonstration of her love for Hertford, surely? I'm not sure what point you are trying to make by dredging up a two-year-old comment of mine simply in order to shoot it down. (Puzzled of Tunbridge Wells)
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: Hertford celebrities

Post by Angela Woodford »

Jo wrote: In terms of this thread in general, whilst all the women mentioned are no doubt very well-known and successful in their own fields, I think we have to be wary of apparently clutching at straws. (That's not meant to sound as rude as it perhaps does.) I think limiting it to one or two very successful women is better than lists of women to whom the response would be "who's she?". Titles help.
I don't see why we should only celebrate the achievements of one or two successful (titled!) Old Girls?

I always admire and enjoy the Facebook page of H'atelier Millinery. What beautiful hats, adored and worn at some very splendid occasions by distinguished women! Then I had to be told by other HOGOFs that Jen Scott-Russell, designer and creator of the company is an Old Girl, 8's,1956-73.

I hope she won't mind me saying that recently, she has been named as a Woman of Achievement, attending the celebratory luncheon where she was lauded by Vanessa Whitburn, Baroness Shirley Williams, Helena Kennedy QC, Lorraine Kelly, Barbara Knox and Shelley von Strunkel!

What a wonderful creative Old Girl!

I hope to visit Manchester soon, and will be beating excitedly on the door of the Atelier!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""