"They" have done it again

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Re: "They" have done it again

Post by jhopgood »

anniexf wrote:Katharine, did you ever meet Paula Neuss (2s, c. 1954-63?) at LMH?
It´s an unusual surname. Did she have a younger brother at Horsham, Geoffrey Neuss?
I cycled over to Streatham to visit him occasionally, but can´t remember whether he had a sister.
Father was ex RAF, so Geoff was RAF Foundation.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I came across this Hertford Quick Questions idea from long ago when I was thinking about Veg Pie - rather relevant to this thread? :D

"But Libby Jeremy was mentioned and I remember her being in the VIth form when I started. She had a glorious singing voice and rumour had it that she wanted to be an actress and DR frowned on her for that reason. "

Libby was a beautiful girl!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

I posted an apology to Rex and Angela this morning - but it's gone! Help! I'm sure it was ok, I previewed it ... :?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Isn't there an eminent plastic surgeon from Hertford?

Evans not sure of the Christian name.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Judy Evans (Plastic Surgeon)
Yes, Paula did have a brother at Horsham and his name was/is Geoffrey.
I think Jane Hayward became an actor, but not sure how celebrated she became. Last seen at Housey, when one of her two children left.
And Theresa Mills became an Egon Ronay 'tester' (don't know what the real title is!)
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

kerrensimmonds wrote: Yes, Paula did have a brother at Horsham and his name was/is Geoffrey.
Thanks Kerren.
Geoff made a single appearance here and contacted my sister a few years ago.
Geoffrey Neuss, Principle Examiner for Chemistry, IB Workshop leader, Author and reviewer of the 2007 IB programmes for IB, Head of Science at the United World College of the Atlantic.
Must be busy.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

anniexf wrote:Katharine, did you ever meet Paula Neuss (2s, c. 1954-63?) at LMH? She was reading English, & later became Reader in (something like) Mediaeval English at Birkbeck. "Famous" enough for her obituary to appear in The Independent in 1989.
No Annie, I never met her at LMH, again it is a name I remember of someone senior to me, and on the other side of the square!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I was in the same Ward/House as Paula, and I remember her as pretty scary, though I see she must have been only three years older than I.
I recall one day, lining up in House, to march up the Square to Dining Hall. I spotted the top letter on the shelf inside the front door. The envelope was in my mother's handwriting and was (of course) addressed to me. I squeaked, stupidly' 'OOh that's a letter for me from my mother' - and Paula's disdain at my interrupting the smooth flow of the march up to Dining Hall was palpable and Very Embarrassing. I cringe to this day.
Kerren Simmonds
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Funny how these embarrassing things stick in our minds.

Theresa Mills changed her name to something vaguely 'New Age' and last I knew has a pub not far from Horsham (I saw her at OB day 1996)

Jane Hayward

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0371753/

Her sister Sarah is occasionally around on here I believe.

Judy Evans

http://www.expertsearch.co.uk/cgi-bin/find_expert?4744
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Last I heard. Tweazle (Theresa Mills) had gone abroad. For many years, with her partner Barry, she ran the pub in Elsted, near Midhurst, where the West Sussex Old Blues and Singing Old Blues used to meet up. All that in due course went pear shaped and she moved to a restaurant in Petworth where Singing Old Blues met once or twice (the West Sussex Old Blues moved to the Angel in Midhurst). Then Tweazle went abroad (I think her mum lived in France) and Singing Old Blues have met in individuals' homes, ever since.
The West Sussex Old Blues still meet in The Angel, but it's pretty dire and it's most likely that they will move to a different venue after Christmas this year.
Kerren Simmonds
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Among all the "Hertford" celebroties ---- there is one I recognise !!!
Margaret Gowing FRS -- but then I was in the Nuclear Industry.

Re Bernard Levin --- I assume that one does not have to be "Likeable" to be a Celebrity ! --- I can think of a few candidates !
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Katharine wrote: No Annie, I never met her at LMH, again it is a name I remember of someone senior to me, and on the other side of the square!
Sorry, Katharine, I realised afterwards that you'd already clarified this on another thread. I blame my advancing senility! :lol:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

anniexf wrote:I posted an apology to Rex and Angela this morning - but it's gone! Help! I'm sure it was ok, I previewed it ... :?
Apology, Ann? Why? Please, no? :?
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
anniexf
Button Grecian

Re: Hertford novelists

Post by anniexf »

Rex wrote:
I think the way you've cut the quotation is a little misleading, so just to clarify for other readers, it was I and not Angela who wrote the offending sentence.
At last, Rex and Angela, I can offer you a decent apology for my ham-fisted "quote" performance, which led to the incorrect attribution. I'm sorry if either of you found my original post annoying, but it was entirely unintended.
Sorry too, Rex, if I seemed to over-react in Paula's defence; the subject is still sore even after so many years. I do find this Forum generally quite cathartic - several little demons from Hertford days have been exorcised! - but a few still prod me viciously, and that is one. :(
Rex
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Hertford novelists

Post by Rex »

anniexf wrote:I'm sorry if either of you found my original post annoying, but it was entirely unintended.
Sorry too, Rex, if I seemed to over-react in Paula's defence; the subject is still sore even after so many years.
Not at all, Annie - you were quite right.