Non-Foundationers - taught by your parents

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Eruresto
Grecian

Non-Foundationers - taught by your parents

Post by Eruresto »

Just a quick question which has bugged me for ages: what do Non-Foundationers call their parents in lessons? I've asked a few and it's always "Mum", "Dad", etc...but I wonder if there are any exceptions?

I know Peter Mayhew was taught by his brother, and just called him Arthur.

What is it like being taught etc by your parents?
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I don't know...

Dad never taught me...

that would have just been too uncomfortable...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

Dad didnt teach me either, (was never going to do an alevel in design).

But was told by the head just before i started to still call him Dad rather than Sir-which i did, it would have been wierd not too.

What is most bizarre i found as a non foundationer was going from calling staff by their first names prior to CH 6th form then by mr....../miss..... whilst at school to go back to calling them by first names again now i have left and know them as friends etc of parents.
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Were you a new dep then? I thought Non-Foundationers always joined on second form, or whereever they were at when their parents got the job...
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Amy was a New dep - she decided to slum it (!!) in Horsham...
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

There seem to be a fair few these days from what I gather reading The Blue.

They were few and far between in my time: Mc Connell, Fryer and "Beaky" Eagle's son are the only three I can think of although there may have been more.

In those days though there were a lot more bachelor masters which probably explains the difference thinking about it!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

We did not have any non- Foundationers at Hertford. I can remember DR saying that it was impossible to enter Ch after the age of 12.

My father was the school chaplain of my previous school. As I am sure Matt and Amy agree it is a very strange situation, seeing staff in your own house as friends and then having them teaching you. I was never taught by my Dad, but my mother was the relief nurse in the San and she did give me first aid one time - no way was she anyone other than my Mum then!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

The daughter of our school doctor was at Hertford, non-resident, but an "extra" in 8s. Surprise,surprise- as soon as she left, he resigned as our doctor. Mercifully I have forgotten his name.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

blondie95 wrote:What is most bizarre i found as a non foundationer was going from calling staff by their first names prior to CH 6th form then by mr....../miss..... whilst at school to go back to calling them by first names again now i have left and know them as friends etc of parents.
My wife has a cousin who lives close to us here. To family he is Fergie but to non-family he is Barry and heaven help us if we call him Barry when others are not present or Fergie if others are there!

His actual name is Ferguson Barry P*****

As for your dilemna, I would have thought that Sir/Madam would have been proper at least in front of other pupils ; did other pupils use teacher's first names? Did Mr Eagle call his son by family or forename (I never did find out)?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

sejintenej wrote:
blondie95 wrote:What is most bizarre i found as a non foundationer was going from calling staff by their first names prior to CH 6th form then by mr....../miss..... whilst at school to go back to calling them by first names again now i have left and know them as friends etc of parents.
My wife has a cousin who lives close to us here. To family he is Fergie but to non-family he is Barry and heaven help us if we call him Barry when others are not present or Fergie if others are there!

His actual name is Ferguson Barry P*****

As for your dilemna, I would have thought that Sir/Madam would have been proper at least in front of other pupils ; did other pupils use teacher's first names? Did Mr Eagle call his son by family or forename (I never did find out)?

I did not slum it in Horsham, Tanbridge at that time was a very good state secondary school!

I was offered the oppoutunity at 6th form and thought why not as i had grown up around the boarding school environment, i wanted to know what it really was like!

As for names and addressing staff, whilst at school i did call them all by mr/mrs sir/madam when at school! but out of school so holidays and once left i call them by their first names!
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I still find it hard to call teachers by their first names!
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Very true, Matt, although I wouldn't anyway, but when I leave I'm still going to call teachers Sir etc...
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Katharine wrote:We did not have any non- Foundationers at Hertford. I can remember DR saying that it was impossible to enter Ch after the age of 12.
Hi Katharine

During my time we had someone join 6s for the 6th form. I can't remember her name, but can visualise her sitting opposite me in the Day Room - short blond hair and a very competent lacrosse player. Have no idea how or why she ended up at CH, but I have a feeling that she didn't see out the two years.

Alex, Liz, Mary, Munch - do you remember?
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Eruresto wrote:Very true, Matt, although I wouldn't anyway, but when I leave I'm still going to call teachers Sir etc...
I'm sure that you will get over it :lol:

I moved from the, then, strictly class-, seniority- affected system of England, where I would have been struck by a thunderous look if I had so much as considered calling Professors anything other than 'Professor', or, the friendly ones 'Prof', to Australia.

When I first addressed our Head of Department as 'Prof', he smiled quizzically at me, and informed me that he is 'Colin'. 'What? No? I couldn't possibly .......'

For the first year of my employment he was Pro-o-o-olin, but I finally realised that it was OK to treat and address him as a normal human being, and that this was in no way being disrespectful of his station.
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Hi Katharine

During my time we had someone join 6s for the 6th form. I can't remember her name, but can visualise her sitting opposite me in the Day Room - short blond hair and a very competent lacrosse player. Have no idea how or why she ended up at CH, but I have a feeling that she didn't see out the two years.

Alex, Liz, Mary, Munch - do you remember?
Sorry, I don't remember her, though the bit about her leaving early does sound familiar. (I was amazed, I didn't know you could leave early. This suggests it was early in my CH career).

Are you sure about the lacrosse? I didn't think it was played at Hertford.

There was a girl in 6's called Lucy(?) whose mother was a house mistress in one of the houses across the square. I think she may have been a non-foundationer, at least for her first year. After that I think she was a presentee.

Also, was there a history teacher called Mrs Topliss who had a daughter Fiona at the school?
Mary
CH 1965-1972