Did anyone see...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

kerrensimmonds wrote:AArrgghh
How far are we from the case in point at the start of this thread (albeit welcoming Hertford OBs such as Jude back on board, in the meantime)? I am a novice in such matters but it does seem that we have strayed off the point..........................Is this normal?
Yes, and be thankful that you are here and not on d.l. At least the matter in hand can be explored here if people so wish.

In d.l (which has deteriorated in recent years) the rule has always been that a thread must go off-thread within 3 posts. (and by the way, mention of a certain German who died in 1945 kills the thread!)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Last night of the Proms

Post by sejintenej »

yes - available even here! Sorry but not a patch on the versions a few decades ago.
a) AFAIR it is still treason and an arrestable offence to sing a certain song which was aired from Glasgow.
b) the Ulster contribution (Danny Boy) may be beautiful but it is the saddest song I know of - discuss
c) the conductor was neither funny nor concise; someone should have put a sock in it.
OTOH IMHO the Russian(?) baritone was good!
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Jude
Button Grecian

Re: Last night of the Proms

Post by Jude »

sejintenej wrote:yes - available even here! Sorry but not a patch on the versions a few decades ago.
a) AFAIR it is still treason and an arrestable offence to sing a certain song which was aired from Glasgow.
b) the Ulster contribution (Danny Boy) may be beautiful but it is the saddest song I know of - discuss
c) the conductor was neither funny nor concise; someone should have put a sock in it.
OTOH IMHO the Russian(?) baritone was good!
Where did you jump in from David??? We were talking about bad words and you are dissing the Epitimy of being British! THE LAST NIGHT OF THE PROMS! And you are using TLA's AGAIN! what is d.l.????????
I didn't see all of it as daughter out clubbing "wiv er mates" (friends not the rubbery things) so have recorded it.... was it me or did we not have the hornblower this year???? Or did it happen earlier - saw Danny Boy being done - this is where I really don't agree with the BBC - so am going to start a new thread.. see you in there as this is the room for naughty words!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Jude wrote:Where did you jump in from David???....And you are using TLA's AGAIN! what is d.l.????????
Sorry Jude, don't know what you are talking about!!! I also need the answer on d.l. but you have asked that.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Jude wrote:see you in there as this is the room for naughty words!

I seem to have seriously lost the plot, never mind the thread. I thought that we were discussing someone who may or may not have survived Herford only to turn into a shopaholic.

As for LNotP - has anyone other than me (I?) been there in person? There being The Albert Hall, which gives away the fact that I was there a long, long time ago - twice, actually. Once in the Pit and once in the Gallery. Great fun.
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

Did a 'Google Search' on TLA and it comes up with:
Three-Letter Acronym
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

yes, or three letter abbreviation. Or in sejintenej case, as many as he wishes.

IMHO In my humble opinion
AFAIR As far as I remember.

and sejintenej is quite correct,

The title of this thread is "Did you see.....?" and he had put 'Last Night of the Proms' in the subject line.

I have been 3 times, and there is nothing like being there, one of the things you should do at least once, like being inTrafalgar Square at midnight to see in the New Year (except you can't do that anymore).

LNOTP has changed but I think it is different, not better not worse, though I think Mark Elder did not make the best speech ever.

There was no crying for Tom Bowling either.

A few years back it was accuse of being jingoistic, but from the number of foreign flags waving (were there actually fewer this year?) everyone enjoys a bit of jingoism, even someone elses.

Even the May Day parade in Red Square was (is?) televised over here.

which leads me neatly on to the Russian baritone. PHWOAR.

(did have row with daughter about that, she saying that baritone was the same as bass, she does know everthing becasue she is 17 :lol: )

and where was the violinist's navel?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Katharine wrote:
Jude wrote:Where did you jump in from David???....And you are using TLA's AGAIN! what is d.l.????????
Sorry Jude, don't know what you are talking about!!! I also need the answer on d.l. but you have asked that.

T L A - three letter acronyms - used for shortening words - like LOL = laugh out loud - swalk = sealed with a loving kiss .... somehow I don't belive you didn't know............
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

NORWICH was a favourite in the war I read.

But I still don't know what d.l. is.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

englishangel wrote:NORWICH was a favourite in the war I read.

But I still don't know what d.l. is.
me neither - what is Norwich???
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

kNickers Off Ready When I Come Home.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

... which leads us neatly to BURMA
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:NORWICH was a favourite in the war I read.
There was a lot of SWALK when I was at CH; Kit Aitken got a bit suspicious and one boy's ** mail was intercepted; he was not pleased (** he joined here a little while back) There were others which I have forgotten.

englishangel wrote:But I still don't know what d.l. is.
"Demon Local" - a newsgroup which allows almost any subject to be discussed. It used to be exceptionally civilised and (still) has a very practical charitable side.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:and sejintenej is quite correct,

The title of this thread is "Did you see.....?" and he had put 'Last Night of the Proms' in the subject line.
Thanks Mary - I'm glad someone reads from the start ;-)
englishangel wrote:I have been 3 times, and there is nothing like being there, one of the things you should do at least once, like being inTrafalgar Square at midnight to see in the New Year (except you can't do that anymore).

LNOTP has changed but I think it is different, not better not worse, though I think Mark Elder did not make the best speech ever.
You should have been in the diplomatic service; I reckoned all his several speeches were below par (by a long way)

englishangel wrote:A few years back it was accuse of being jingoistic, but from the number of foreign flags waving (were there actually fewer this year?) everyone enjoys a bit of jingoism, even someone elses.
and why shouldn't we be jingoistic - that is one American habit I think we should claim back from them.

Fine to have flags - why shouldn't foreigners carry their own flags - most of them are welcome to visit the UK and if it is British people trying to make foreign performers (even if members of the orchestra) feel at home it is fine by me. However, the one I could not help but see immediately behind the conductor was that of the Holy See. I was waiting for the carrier to be invited up to give his blessing (as if his presence was not blessing enough).

englishangel wrote:and where was the violinist's navel?
after several tummy tucks do navels go down or up (someone needs to know). That said, I understand exactly what you mean - it was that hat which got me; she certainly has style - a style better retained in the antipodes IMHO (FLA)
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

LNoTP

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Why did the drop dead gorgeous (EA) Russian bass/baritone flourish a Union Jack from his breast?
I was mystified.
ITOFT