Did anyone see...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

gma
Grecian

Re: Did anyone see...

Post by gma »

Isn't it strange, that as adults we are quite happy to bare our 'souls', admit our shortcomings and put ourselves up for potential ridicule, however gentle, and yet as children (almost without exception on this thread), we all hid our fear and insecurities so well from each other. I know that children are frequently cruel, thoughtlessly or otherwise, but I also always thought that children were supposed to be 'honest'?

In line with most other posters here, I came to Ch from a primary school where no-one else came close and found myself amongst several hundred creatures most of whom were 'goddesses' in some fashion, unreachable, far above us and unfailingly inspiring whllst be simultaneously fear indusing and crushing! Even my peers seemed more brilliant, shining, musical, maths, science, endless! I only understood in my second year that my english skills were good, possibly very good; maybe I would have been more relaxed if I had understood the ramifications of that. Average at everything else I decided to become a distance runner, mainly as I was far too bulky (unformed I recall was one teacher's description) to sprint and spenty the whole of one (very long it seemed to me) summer of evenings spent pounding around the track at Hertford, then persuaded the powers that be to add something like 1500m to interhouse sports day. I was so ready to finally be seen to be 'good' at something I was crushed to be run off the track by a Sarah, in 7s I think, who took off like a hare and burned me out! After that I probably spent my whole time at CH falling back on being funny or totally out of order. As an adult oddly that whole experience has stood me in good stead - better than being special at school and then having to come to to terms with the fact that in the real world of business and work, no-one really cared!

And yes, my house is still full of books, overflowing in fact which is what I should be doing today (housework, sigh) instead of playing on here but as per another thread - my skills therein were quite undone by CH!! :oops: :D
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

fra828 wrote:Yes Jo, Lynne James was in 1's and we were both in the same class through the school till she left in 5th form and I stayed on till LV1. She was a nice person, easy to get on with.
Oh goodness, sorry, I was getting you muddled up - that's the problem with screen names! Yes, if you were the year above me, then of course Lynne would have been your year. :oops:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

That's ok Jo! So easy to get mixed up nearly 40 years on! :)