New Forum Section - Hertford Memories

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

In the new Old Blue there is the death notice for Mrs Johnson who taught Physics. She was ambidextrous and stood in front of the blackboard and started writing with her left hand and then when the writing reached her body transferred the chalk to her right hand and continued. This proceeded down the board, but there was usually a gap in the middle, where her body got in the way. When she moved away and we were copying her notes it was sometimes very difficult to marry up the lines.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

There was something somewhere (photos late 60s early 70s?) that we had no school photos. Now one suddenly pops up!!

The monitresses had their photo taken in 72 probably because DR was retiring, then Vonny said one was taken in 85 before the amalgamation.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
fivethreeone
2nd Former

Post by fivethreeone »

Maureen Connor wrote:Did Jane Newton have a sister in Sixes? Your housemistress was a lady with blond hair - but I can't remember her name. Didn't she have a daughter there? I remember she cut my hair for me once.
I was really friendly at the time with Lynn Ford, Charlotte Lycett and Jenny Moss
Yes I think Jane Newton's sister was Jill. Our housemistress was Mrs Cooke and she had a daughter called Fiona in 6's - I thgink she leftfairly quickly to get (re)married. Lynn, Charlie and Jenny were a couple of years above me. I kept in touch with Lynn for a few years at the Guidhall School of music, Charlie and Sally Hugeson went to St Andrew's university, but I've no idea where any of them are now.

I remember the school photo and still have a copy, however as its around 3ft long and contains the whole school I'm not sure I could scan and post it. i also have one of 5's soemwhere taken by mr Baldwin (physics teacher) in my last year, 79/80.

btw Jude you forgot Kate Cuddeford in your first year list - she was 'cracked' on me at one point!
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

OMGoodness

I had forgotten Kate Cudderford - she was in wioth Fiona NAirn in 7's!

Do you remember Georgina something in 4's who had a title - she was the only one in my year to fo CSE's instead of O levels...

Each of my children (adults argh) have school photos in the massive - Sarah from pre school, Chris from Millfield, then there is one where they are both together at Wicliffe College.... In the Millfield one it is only Chris's year - but it out strips us girls at CH, or the entireity of Wycliffe!!

I thought I might get them all framed and put up on the wall in the livng room - spot the person!

who was the really fantastic pianist in 5's who also played the organ, I remember her practicing Chopins Fanasie and being very impressed (well lets face it we all were easily impressed!

Mrs Cooke left and then we had another woman - from South Africa - she was incredibly thin, but very very wide - she was a divorcee as well.

Jill Newton had left by the time Jane arrived hadn;t she? i must go and have another gander at the books etc....
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Jude wrote:Do you remember Georgina something in 4's who had a title -
There was someone in 2's with a title - you would probably have at least known of her during your time there. Katherine Eady - she was The Honourable....
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Maureen Connor
2nd Former

Post by Maureen Connor »

I must have been mistaken with the name of Miss Wilson. I stand corrected. I think I was also confusing Miss Mercer(History) and probably before my time with Miss Marter (later Mrs Roxborough). in fact I know I was wrong because I went to check my old reports. I also mistook Miss Rutherford, who taught me English in about Year 8 (sorry 2nd form) with Miss Riddiford, the German teacher. Oh dear, the memory must really be going...how irritating!
Maureen Connor
2nd Former

Post by Maureen Connor »

who was the really fantastic pianist in 5's who also played the organ, I remember her practicing Chopins Fanasie and being very impressed (well lets face it we all were easily impressed!

I seem to have forgotten as well how you organise a quotation. The fantastic pianist must have been Lynn Ford who went on to the Guidhall School of Music. Fivethreeone obviously remembers her. I remember her playing 'girl with the Flaxen Hair' . Takes me back whenever I hear it. I'd love to trace her but have had no luck so far.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Maureen Connor wrote:I must have been mistaken with the name of Miss Wilson. I stand corrected. I think I was also confusing Miss Mercer(History) and probably before my time with Miss Marter (later Mrs Roxborough). in fact I know I was wrong because I went to check my old reports. I also mistook Miss Rutherford, who taught me English in about Year 8 (sorry 2nd form) with Miss Riddiford, the German teacher. Oh dear, the memory must really be going...how irritating!
Miss Rutherford taught French and German from 1966 on. There was no Miss Riddiford as far as I remember in 1972, possibly she came later.
jhope
2nd Former

Post by jhope »

Maureen Connor wrote:I think I was also confusing Miss Mercer(History) and probably before my time with Miss Marter (later Mrs Roxborough). in fact I know I was wrong because I went to check my old reports. I also mistook Miss Rutherford, who taught me English in about Year 8 (sorry 2nd form) with Miss Riddiford, the German teacher. Oh dear, the memory must really be going...how irritating!
So Mrs Roxburgh was Miss Marter (after my time) and not Jill Farrow - who incidentally did not, as far as I can recall, have particularly beautiful handwriting nor was she a diabetic. But I do remember that she was doing her PhD (in Far Eastern 19th century history - hence our rather esoteric A Level history paper) part time at Cambridge whilst teaching us.

I also remember Miss Rutherford - but as a French teacher - and possibly German too after Miss Von Stettin left and I also remember the name Miss Riddiford - though am very hazy on what she taught. She wasn't the "other" French teacher at the same time time as Miss Rutherford was she? Young and quite "chic" - possibly French Canadian?

And just to round off teachers beginning with "R". Who remembers Deaconess Ridsdale? A much more rounded approach to religious education than just the Epistles of St Paul.

Julie/Juliane (Bennett. Sevens 65-72)
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

I seem to have forgotten as well how you organise a quotation. The fantastic pianist must have been Lynn Ford who went on to the Guidhall School of Music. Fivethreeone obviously remembers her. I remember her playing 'girl with the Flaxen Hair' . Takes me back whenever I hear it. I'd love to trace her but have had no luck so far.

Lynn Ford - that was it - she just learn by ear - she was absolutely fantastic - and of course being in 5's we just thought she was so MUCH BETTER than her counter part Miss Rice in 7's!!!

Pity to have lost touch - she certainly touched my soul with her piano playing - made me want to prative harder - I did my grade 7 and then everything stopped - as I left after O levels... Sad...

oh and to do Quotes - press the Quote butten at the top of the piece you are reading - you can then edit out what you don't want and go down a couple ofl ine and start writing... I did it the lazy way - cut what I wanted and dumped it all in a post!!!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

jhope wrote:
Maureen Connor wrote:I think I was also confusing Miss Mercer(History) and probably before my time with Miss Marter (later Mrs Roxborough). in fact I know I was wrong because I went to check my old reports. I also mistook Miss Rutherford, who taught me English in about Year 8 (sorry 2nd form) with Miss Riddiford, the German teacher. Oh dear, the memory must really be going...how irritating!
So Mrs Roxburgh was Miss Marter (after my time) and not Jill Farrow - who incidentally did not, as far as I can recall, have particularly beautiful handwriting nor was she a diabetic. But I do remember that she was doing her PhD (in Far Eastern 19th century history - hence our rather esoteric A Level history paper) part time at Cambridge whilst teaching us.

I also remember Miss Rutherford - but as a French teacher - and possibly German too after Miss Von Stettin left and I also remember the name Miss Riddiford - though am very hazy on what she taught. She wasn't the "other" French teacher at the same time time as Miss Rutherford was she? Young and quite "chic" - possibly French Canadian?

And just to round off teachers beginning with "R". Who remembers Deaconess Ridsdale? A much more rounded approach to religious education than just the Epistles of St Paul.

Julie/Juliane (Bennett. Sevens 65-72)
Miss Smith was the French Canadian teacher, she was our form mistress in LIV and got married in summer 67 becoming Mrs Williams.

Juli, don't you remember when we did the entertainment and we did 'Heroes through the Ages' and Miss Rutherford's form had to sing French and German songs?
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

>>And just to round off teachers beginning with "R". Who remembers Deaconess Ridsdale? A much more rounded approach to religious education than just the Epistles of St Paul.

Thanks Juliana, there's one I remember. Great huge clanking cross round her neck but she was kind and very interesting as I remember.
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

englishangel wrote:Juli, don't you remember when we did the entertainment and we did 'Heroes through the Ages' and Miss Rutherford's form had to sing French and German songs?
Well I do, what a swiz that was! We could hear your rehearsals through the wall and you were having SUCH FUN!!! I'm jealous to this day....
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Liz Jay wrote:>>And just to round off teachers beginning with "R". Who remembers Deaconess Ridsdale? A much more rounded approach to religious education than just the Epistles of St Paul.

Thanks Juliana, there's one I remember. Great huge clanking cross round her neck but she was kind and very interesting as I remember.
Blimey, I don't remember her, and I was in the same class as Juli.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Liz Jay wrote:
englishangel wrote:Juli, don't you remember when we did the entertainment and we did 'Heroes through the Ages' and Miss Rutherford's form had to sing French and German songs?
Well I do, what a swiz that was! We could hear your rehearsals through the wall and you were having SUCH FUN!!! I'm jealous to this day....
I remember you were really p*****d off.