School Monitors through the ages

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Martin
LE (Little Erasmus)

School Monitors through the ages

Post by Martin »

Although I too know nothing of the two First World War German artillery pieces at the ends of the Quarter Mile (see the recent topic, ‘World War 1 Guns’), I wonder about the disappearance of another item, certainly present at CH Horsham during the two decades after the Second World War and presumably for long before.

This was the collection of annual group photos of all the Horsham School Monitors and the Headmaster, with the Senior Grecian on his right. The name of each individual was given. (One exception was the inclusion of the Prince of Wales, later Duke of Windsor, in the annual group photo, on the occasion of his visit to Horsham in the 1930s.) The photos were normally taken in front of Big School. They were displayed in the corridor outside the Headmaster’s Office, which was then located in the Classics Block. (Is his Office still there?) Each year was represented, starting in the late 19th century, when photography became generally available. When at Housey I was fascinated by them and often studied the changing modes displayed. For example some very early examples showed grecians with moustaches and other facial hair. Do other readers recall these photos?

I consider these photos of very great historical importance. Presumably when they were all removed they were taken to a safe place. But where? I know of one Blue, studying an aspect of CH history, who needed to examine them. He enquired and was unable to find any information of use. The readers of this Forum collectively, and especially the moderators, know very much about CH history of the 20th century and doubtlessly also can exert much influence. So can any of them tell us where the collection is and who controls access to it? The researcher whom I mentioned would dearly love to know (me too!). If they were removed because their condition was deteriorating, it would be reasonable to have copies made which then could be displayed for the benefit of current and future Blues. The Museum is one such appropriate location for this collection. I think they would prove very popular. Were there similar photos displayed at Hertford, and if so is their current location known?
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Re: School Monitors through the ages

Post by LongGone »

On a related note: are there archives of all of the House photos? If so, who controls them? Some people have posted their own copies, but it would be nice if there was a site that had them all.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

School Monitors were not necessarily Button Grecians. They were normally the fourteen House Captains.
I remember the photographs in the Classical Block , and certainly the very old Victorian ones were all Button Grecians.
Norman Longmate mentions the anomaly in his book The Shaping Season that although he was a Button Grecian he was not even a House Monitor. Would Ken Mansell be able to answer what became of them? I cannot imagine that they would have been
disposed of.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

The photographs were of all the First Parting (i.e. final year, full) Grecians, plus any house captains who were leaving but did not fall into this category. The latter were given honorary buttons in their final term. Until about 1960, all those photographed had buttons, if only for this reason (though it was pretty well unknown for non-button grecians to be house captains). The system started to break down when 1st partings started leaving at Christmas or Easter. In one photo from I think 1960, two grecians who had left were included as insets in the subsequently taken picture. However, leaving 'early' then became so prevalent that in my last year (1962/63) the leaving grecians' picture was taken before Christmas. This meant of course that house captains without buttons were depicted thus. Peter Scott, the doctor's son, one of those affected, suggested, reasonably in my view, that they should wear grecians' coats for the photo, but the SG was not sympathetic. (PS managed to position himself cleverly so one couldn't tell.)

I have this photo in digitized form -- if someone reminds me how, I'll put it up here.

Occasionally the headmaster was on the photo, and I think in 1961 William Hamilton Fife, who was then very old indeed, happened to be visiting and was also on it.

We used to amuse ourselves by finding the pictures of Seaman and Kirby and trying to note any resemblance to their adult selves.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Can I ask what 1st Parting Grecians did for the Easter and summer terms if they stayed on. I always presumed that they stayed for Michaelmas term so that they could sit Oxbridge exams and then left as was the practice when I was at school (65-72).
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote:The photographs were of all the First Parting (i.e. final year, full) Grecians, plus any house captains who were leaving but did not fall into this category. The latter were given honorary buttons in their final term. Until about 1960, all those photographed had buttons, if only for this reason (though it was pretty well unknown for non-button grecians to be house captains). The system started to break down when 1st partings started leaving at Christmas or Easter. In one photo from I think 1960, two grecians who had left were included as insets in the subsequently taken picture. However, leaving 'early' then became so prevalent that in my last year (1962/63) the leaving grecians' picture was taken before Christmas. This meant of course that house captains without buttons were depicted thus. Peter Scott, the doctor's son, one of those affected, suggested, reasonably in my view, that they should wear grecians' coats for the photo, but the SG was not sympathetic. (PS managed to position himself cleverly so one couldn't tell.)

I have this photo in digitized form -- if someone reminds me how, I'll put it up here.

Occasionally the headmaster was on the photo, and I think in 1961 William Hamilton Fife, who was then very old indeed, happened to be visiting and was also on it.

We used to amuse ourselves by finding the pictures of Seaman and Kirby and trying to note any resemblance to their adult selves.

I pass my photo's to Julian to post as I've always had a problem getting them on this site.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

AKAP wrote:Can I ask what 1st Parting Grecians did for the Easter and summer terms if they stayed on. I always presumed that they stayed for Michaelmas term so that they could sit Oxbridge exams and then left as was the practice when I was at school (65-72).
They lived a life of useless luxury. As I said above, between about 1960 and 1965 when you were there, it became taken for granted that they would leave as soon as they had taken Oxbridge exams, but before this it was unusual. The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

If they were removed because their condition was deteriorating....

This is unlikely. They were b/w, framed and behind glass, and not exposed to bright sunlight. When I was there, some were 80 years old and as good as the day they were printed.

I can't imagine they've been destroyed or disposed of. Similarly, at the other end of the same block was a fine collection of Piranesi prints of Roman ruins. I suppose they're not there any more either.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

I have traced the following who according to the CH Alphabetical Lists that I possess were School Monitors but not Button Grecians. Nothing too much should be read into the fact that the majority are from Coleridge A as some of this information
is based on personal knowledge.
P.C. Clarke CA 1943.
P.J. Ilsley CA 1944.
J.L.A.Lewis BA 1945.
M.M. Thomson TA 1946.
M.K.D. Gunton CA 1948.
J.R. Stephenson CA 1948.
D.V. Child PA 1952.
I am sure that there must be many others and would welcome any addenda.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Kit Bartlett wrote:I have traced the following who according to the CH Alphabetical Lists that I possess were School Monitors but not Button Grecians. Nothing too much should be read into the fact that the majority are from Coleridge A as some of this information
is based on personal knowledge.
P.C. Clarke CA 1943.
P.J. Ilsley CA 1944.
J.L.A.Lewis BA 1945.
M.M. Thomson TA 1946.
M.K.D. Gunton CA 1948.
J.R. Stephenson CA 1948.
D.V. Child PA 1952.
I am sure that there must be many others and would welcome any addenda.
By 1960 it was the custom for 'members of the House Captains' meeting' (Seaman's decreed renaming of 'school monitors') to be given buttons in their last summer term. If this was already the case in the 40s, the people you name above would have appeared in the photo in buttons. Or possibly the photos then were restricted to 1st Partings?

In my year, the house captains of LaB and ThA, Scott and Iremonger, were buttonless.
Th.B. 27 1955-63