Swine flu - school closing for a week

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

fra828
Grecian

Re: Swine flu - school closing for a week

Post by fra828 »

How thoughtful, Lonelymum, to find the time to log on to this forum and update us all regularly - very best get well wishes to Louise, hope she will be home again soon, and hope all others affected are getting better too.
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

The doctor has just been round to see Louise again. Unfortunately she didn't have a particularly good night, with her temperature rising again and her oxygen levels dropping. They do now know that she's definately on the right antibiotics for her type of infection and they now just want to give her time. They have also confirmed that this is all as a result of Swine Flu. Lonelymom explained to me the bacterial levels in her blood earlier, apparently these should normally be below 1, at a level of 50 one would need antibiotics. When Louise was admitted her's were 450! These have now dropped to 250, so heading in the right direction but still worryingly high. :( If only positive thinking could help her turn the corner! If you're all anything like me she won't be short of that, every minute of the day I'm just willing her to improve and can't stop thinking about the whole family. :( I hope that the next update I can give you will be more positive.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for the update - if thoughts and prayers could cure her, I'm sure she would be better by now!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Positive thoughts by the bucketload for Michele and Louise.. and thank you Barnes Mum for keeping us in the picture.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Well it's not good news, but not quite "bad" either - things seem to be moving gradually in the right general direction even if only by one step forward, half a step back. It's a good thing Louise has always been fit and active, with the physical resources to draw on while her body's fighting this. Thanks for the update, Barnes Mum.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Barnes Mum wrote:The doctor has just been round to see Louise again. Unfortunately she didn't have a particularly good night, with her temperature rising again and her oxygen levels dropping. They do now know that she's definately on the right antibiotics for her type of infection and they now just want to give her time. They have also confirmed that this is all as a result of Swine Flu. Lonelymom explained to me the bacterial levels in her blood earlier, apparently these should normally be below 1, at a level of 50 one would need antibiotics. When Louise was admitted her's were 450! These have now dropped to 250, so heading in the right direction but still worryingly high. :( If only positive thinking could help her turn the corner! If you're all anything like me she won't be short of that, every minute of the day I'm just willing her to improve and can't stop thinking about the whole family. :( I hope that the next update I can give you will be more positive.
Good heavens, no wonder the poor child is feeling so rotten and weak! Let's hope she improves gradually over the next few days. Still sending best wishes and lots of positive vibes.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Momto2
Deputy Grecian

Post by Momto2 »

Huge ((((hugs)))) to Lonelymom, Louise and all the family and naturally our prayers are still with them; Louise was the last person I thought about last night and I have been checking for news all day.

Now that swine flu has been confirmed, no one should be in any doubt as to just how very seriously it can affect an otherwise healthy young person!

Thank you for keeping us updated Barnes Mum and please send our love to M when you next speak to her.

xx
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

Momto2 wrote:Huge ((((hugs)))) to Lonelymom, Louise and all the family and naturally our prayers are still with them; Louise was the last person I thought about last night and I have been checking for news all day.

Now that swine flu has been confirmed, no one should be in any doubt as to just how very seriously it can affect an otherwise healthy young person!
Thank you for keeping us updated Barnes Mum and please send our love to M when you next speak to her.

xx
Yes, it's quite frightening, terrifying to say the least! :(

Like you she is the last thing I think about at night and the first thing I think about as soon as I wake, (I can usually just about make it to 8am to text Lonelymom for news if I haven't heard from her by then.) she is also constantly on my mind throughout the rest of each day. I think there will be a HUGE sigh of relief heard across the country when we all hear that she is finally well again! Anyone else up for helping organise a huge party - a suggestion from one of my older daughters, but not a bad idea I think! :)

I will once again pass on all your love, hugs and prayers. I know they mean a lot to Lonelymom and I hope are helping to give her strength to get through this.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I am sure it must all be helping. If you mean a party to celebrate when Louise is fully recovered, I think that is a great idea. I was at Southwark Cathedral today and thought I would light a candle for her - something I haven't done for a while. I was telling my church housegroup last night about Michele and Louise and they were amazed at the depth of support being generated amongst a group of people many of whom basically don't know each other outside this forum, other than having a common interest in CH. I wonder if that Facebook thingy has the same sense of togetherness in a time of need?!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Yes, I think it does... when a friend's husband unexpectedly walked out & left her & the kids, the wave of sympathy, empathy, virtual hugs, offers of practical assistance etc was astounding.

I really only know her through facebook (she's a fellow Usborne person) and we've not yet met but I do regard her as a friend.
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
Sallz
Button Grecian

Post by Sallz »

I have only just found this thread, and I have to say I had no idea things were this bad!

Best wishes to lonelymum and Louise, I really do hope things get better for you and you can find the strength you need to support each other
Sally Ford
Col A 44 01-06, Thorn B 56 06-07, Grecians West 07-08
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

Fjgrogan wrote:I am sure it must all be helping. If you mean a party to celebrate when Louise is fully recovered, I think that is a great idea. I was at Southwark Cathedral today and thought I would light a candle for her - something I haven't done for a while. I was telling my church housegroup last night about Michele and Louise and they were amazed at the depth of support being generated amongst a group of people many of whom basically don't know each other outside this forum, other than having a common interest in CH. I wonder if that Facebook thingy has the same sense of togetherness in a time of need?!
Yes, that's exactly what my daughter was suggesting about a party. She hasn't actually met Louise and has only once briefly met Michele, but as soon as she comes home from work asks after her, as does my husband who does know Louise. I'm not quite sure how it would actually work, but a nice idea all the same.
As for the lighting of a candle, a lovely idea. For personal reasons I drifted away from the church a number of years ago but I am finding myself increasingly saying little 'messages' just in case there's anyone there listening!
The support on this forum is incredible and, like you say, it is very touching to know that so many people care about someone they barely know.
I think Facebook is the same but the difference with that is you know the people you are connected to on Facebook before you connect with them on the site, whereas here you connect to the site then gradually get to know the other members. (Not sure if that quite makes sense but 'Ho Hum!')
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Just to record my personal thanks for what you are doing to get and pass on information about Louise. Like others I log in many times a day just to see the latest news.
I can really feel for her mum, having lost my elder son some time ago to disease.

David
Col A 1952 - 1961
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Don't want lonelymom to have to wade through too much, and I don't pray, but thinking of her and Louise all the time.

Love and {{{{hugs}}}}

Mary
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Fjgrogan wrote: I wonder if that Facebook thingy has the same sense of togetherness in a time of need?!
Oh, absolutely! There are so many of us, we are a group called HOGOF - Hertford Old Girls On Facebook!

I rather like the diversity of fb: you don't have particular threads or themes, just the immediacy of what you're doing or thinking. Poor Lynn (chaosriddenyears) is feeling awful with flu too.

Very very best love and thoughts for Louise!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""