THE PARAGUAYAN CONNECTION - 1944

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Foureyes
Grecian

THE PARAGUAYAN CONNECTION - 1944

Post by Foureyes »

In my researches I have come across an incident in 1944 in which an Old Blue was killed within weeks of leaving. All I know about him is a comment by HLO Flecker (so it must be true!) that the boy's parents ran a ranch in Paraguay. Sadly he does not mention a name and the incident is not reported in The Blue so I am a bit stuck. I am eager to put a name to this unfortunate victim of the war and would be most grateful if Old Blues of that era could rack their brains and try to recall a surname - parents in Paraguay must have been a matter of comment - which would enable me to dig into the records.
David :shock:
Foureyes
Grecian

Re: THE PARAGUAYAN CONNECTION - 1944

Post by Foureyes »

You may like to know that due to some diligent research by Clifford Jones in the Museum, this mystery has now been solved.
The boy was names Michael Evans and he was at CH (MidB) from January 1935 to July 1942. His parents did live in Paraguay. He was a passenger in a train running from Guildford to Horsham on 16 December 1942 when it was attacked by a German fighter-bomber just short of Bramley station. Seven of the 40-plus on the train were killed on the spot, while the unfortunate Michael Evans, then aged 17, was very badly wounded and was rushed to hospital but died the next day. Who can know what misery and pain he endured during those 24 hours?
David