Non-Foundationers - taught by your parents

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

MKM wrote:Also, was there a history teacher called Mrs Topliss who had a daughter Fiona at the school?
:offtopic: Imagine misspelling that... :backtotopic:
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

MKM wrote:Also, was there a history teacher called Mrs Topliss who had a daughter Fiona at the school?
That does ring a very vague bell. I don't think the mother taught history to the seniors because Miss Mercer did that. Did she teach second and third forms?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Yes she did. I have seen Fiona's name somewhere but she is not on FRU so I am not sure where I saw it.

In approx 70-72 our housemistress Mrs Dean had a daughter Lucy in 3's and she IS on FRU.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Katharine wrote:
That does ring a very vague bell. I don't think the mother taught history to the seniors because Miss Mercer did that. Did she teach second and third forms?
Mrs Topliss taught us Roman history in my first year (the third form), starting with Romulus and Remus. We drew lots of maps and diagrams with little stick figures: red for the Romans, blue for the Britons.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

MKM wrote:
Katharine wrote:
Mrs Topliss taught us Roman history in my first year (the third form), starting with Romulus and Remus. We drew lots of maps and diagrams with little stick figures: red for the Romans, blue for the Britons.
Topliss is an unusual name.

There were two brothers called Topliss at Horsham in my time one of whom, Sean, was a demon fast bowler and not a bad inside centre either.

Did Mrs Topliss have any other children do you know? Apart from your friend Fiona of course!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Not as far as I know, I also think she only had one s, as in Toplis.

I am surprised you cannot remember Mary, I thought Fiona was in 6's. Where is Alex when you need her?
Last edited by englishangel on Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Eruresto wrote:
Ha ha very funny
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

during 75-80 at Hertford we had 1 DAY pupil - her mother taught something (I can't remember) she was put in 1's and went home to do her prep - I can't remember her name - but I do remember thinking it very odd to be a DAY girl in a school that ONLY did BOARDING!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

A girl in my year had her mum work "up t'inf" as one of the nurses. I'm not sure where they actually lived (was there much in the way of living quarters in the infirmary at Hertford? :? ) but the girl was in 6's and boarded like everyone else.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

by the by, Fiona toplis IS on FRU in 1966.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

MKM wrote:
icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Hi Katharine

During my time we had someone join 6s for the 6th form. I can't remember her name, but can visualise her sitting opposite me in the Day Room - short blond hair and a very competent lacrosse player. Have no idea how or why she ended up at CH, but I have a feeling that she didn't see out the two years.

Alex, Liz, Mary, Munch - do you remember?

Also, was there a history teacher called Mrs Topliss who had a daughter Fiona at the school?
But we didn't play lacrosse! (Hockey was bad enough...)

In I's, Mrs Toplis's daughter Fiona (Flea) was in the Second Form when I was new in the Third Form. Fiona Toplis was professionally naughty, fazed by nothing, not even Millie. Terrific fun. I believe she left after that year! What a loss.

I was the last left in my two V1 Form years. I felt lonely. Alison Stilliard, Josephine Maude and Janessa Fletcher all left at the end of the UV, but then they didn't like me because I'd been in the "A" form... No new V1 former in 6s, definitely. 5s were over populated in the Study, and Frances Holmes expressed a wish to join me in 6s - but it wasn't allowed.

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Angela Woodford wrote:But we didn't play lacrosse! (Hockey was bad enough...)

Munch

We didn't (as in, the school didn't) but the person I referred to did - at perhaps county level. I can't remember whether she was allowed 'out' to continue playing during her time at CH.

xx
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

New Girl in LV

Post by Angela Woodford »

Look at the time! The rain woke me up and I'm having a cup of tea in the night. And I'm worrying about our poor missing cat.

When we began in the LV a new girl was admitted - Mary Bailey, who went into 1s to join Carolynn. She became a great mate, settled in fast and took up the way of life as if she'd always been with us.

It must have been really strange taking up an enclosed life well into her teens!

(Caroline, I've checked out your banana passionflower in a reference book - it's fantastic - as you say, a beautiful red.)

Love, Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Eruresto wrote:
She could swim five lengths then ........

viewtopic.php?t=298&start=0